Monday, September 3, 2012

When disappointment, grief and fear are gone...

If I claim to be a Christian, then what difference does it make in my life now, today? These are follow-up thoughts, or part II, of the last entry.

"If we have hope in Christ only for this life, we are the most miserable people in the world." I Cor. 15:19  A strong statement about the purpose of trusting God. If I only trust God for things in this life, then what's the point? Why not medicate suffering with endless parties, drinks to forget, sex to salve, food to fill emptiness, the latest clothing to coverup, work to fulfill, etc... If I trust in God only for this life, then I am foolish because I can't see God. Why trust in unseen possibilities?

Trusting in God matters in this life because of the promises He makes with those who believe him for the next life. I can know, with certainty that all my present disappointments, confusion, suffering and sorrow will be caught up in beauty and purpose when after my death I meet God face to face. At that moment I will say, "You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy." Psalm 30:11 Yet, because of that hope, I can wear clothing of joy today, in the midst of uncertainty, in the midst of dark times.

"We serve God whether people honor or despise us, whether they slander us or praise us. We are honest, but they call us impostors. We are well known, but we are treated as unknown. We live close to death, but here we are, still alive... Our hearts ache, but we always have joy." II Corinthians 6:8-10

The words of the old hymn, "Be Still My Soul", sung by Michael O'Brien, helped me breathe in peace and I encourage you to find it on iTunes, a portion of the words are below. I will try to add the song to the playlist on my blog.

"Be still my soul. The hour is hastening on, when we shall be forever be with the Lord. When disappointment, grief and fear are gone, sorrow forgot, love's purest joy restored. Be still my soul, when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed, we shall meet at last."


No comments:

Post a Comment