Thursday, January 12, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Dip, Slaves & Flurries

This Monday we had friends over for the AL vs LSU game. I had so much fun setting up some decorations, making some 'guy food' for Jonathan and his buddies. My Blue Moon was mighty tasty! Coming from a wine girl, that's saying something!! The guys LOVED the beef hoagies and buffalo chicken dip; though I'm not a fan of Buffalo flavored anything.


And there is nothing like some winter flurries to inspire writing. What I can't get out of my head is what I read this past weekend in Matthew 24:42-51. Jesus encourages listeners to lookout for his return. His words have inspired my work as house manager and mother. He compares His relationship with his followers to that of a slave and his master (keep the early 1st century cultural context of 'slave & master' in perspective). He says, "Who then is the faithful and sensible slave whom his master put in charge of his household to give them their food at the proper time? Blessed is that slave whom his master finds so doing when he comes. Truly I say to you that he will put him in charge of all his possessions."

So, as I care for the home, its actually not my household nor Jonathan's, its God's. He has entrusted me with His home and the precious lives in it. I'm often tempted to ignore the girl's needs and delay meeting them in order to pursue my own interests ("for a break") but the question is are they getting their needs met at the "proper time"? I'm am so motivated to dedicate myself wholeheartedly to caring for this home and giving thoughtful and purposeful training in raising these girls.

I would love for Jesus to return and welcome him in my home. This has been a positive cure for laziness, fear-driven labor or people-pleasing. I have been placed in care of God's home, this home. And if I am faithful with it, God will place me in care of his possessions. Mind-boggling. Why succumb to cultural pressures to get a corporate job in order to feel valuable and significant. I am significant because I am God's and He has placed me in charge of the most treasured things of His!

1 comment: