Saturday, June 2, 2012

Home Management System

Before I married, I searched for effective time management at work, but as a stay-at-home mother and wife, life continues to get more complex. I've used a version of the below schedule for over 4 years now and have made some recent adjustments. Its not something I use every week but, when after a busy season, this schedule is comfortable and easy to fall back into. I share this only because I figure it could spur ideas in the care of your own life. Its in no way meant as a brag board. Every life is different, with its own set of obligations, circumstances and people to love. But, if you need structure, like I do, then it may help.

The weekly chart goes in my Home Management Binder, which I try to reference at the start and/or end of each day. I print one for each new week. I do not number my priorities since they constantly change and I want to be flexible and yet still have a guide.

One thing not in the weekly calendar is a Laundry Day because I like doing one load of laundry daily, from start to finish (except on Sunday, if I can help it).

The Prioritization Chart has been the recent key to my success in better carrying out my goals. I took categories from Kenneth Blanchard's book, "On Time Manager", and created this check list.

The most rewarding part of this prioritization chart is how it eliminates a lot of guilt from unfinished tasks and the self-imposed shame from broken verbal commitments. It helps me stay focused.

One thing I try to add each week is doing one special thing for each person in my family. For example, intentionally playing dolls with Riley, or fixing a candlelight dessert for Jon. I got this idea from Linda Dillow's book, "Creative Counterpart", and its wonderful.

I hope this post serves to encourage as you seek ongoing ways of loving others and working well with the time given you. Let me know if you want me to send you the actual excel document so that you can adapt your own. (Ie. If your days off are on Sun/Mon, then move my Sat ideas to your Mondays).

No comments:

Post a Comment