Saturday, June 16, 2012

My home, an ark?

"L'Arche offers a home to broken people and gives them a new sense of dignity and self-respect." ~ Henri Nouwen. What is my home like? Do I treat my husband with honor and dignity, or with contempt and disrespect? Lately, I've shown my disdain with my tone of voice and eye-widening gazes to say, "You're not respected." What about as a mother? Do I take the time from my hurried work to help two small girls grow in confidence with their various tasks and explorations? Am I too preoccupied with building my next project, achieving the next badge of skill?


The ark is a picture of safety from the storm. But, this week my home has not been that ark. My own heart has not been an ark. I have to turn to the one person who is always an ark of safety, God Almighty; trusting as I walk in, dirty and broken from my journey, that He will wash my feet, and restore my joy. Perhaps in gazing at Him through prayer, I can receive a taste of safe love and learn to resemble such patience and acceptance towards those closest to me. Maybe then, they will remember to turn to God while in their own storms. For now, my prayer? "God, be my ark".

No comments:

Post a Comment