Friday, August 10, 2012

Sharing with Another's Suffering

Here is a great blog post from Tullian Tchividjian on how responses to suffering. I admit that I am guilty of moralizing or minimizing suffering. At times I have wondered if suffering (my own or that of others) has been a result of misbehavior. I have also minimized my own suffering, and that others, by either trying to find what good will come from it or by offering spiritual platitudes. In recent months I have had the privilege of walking with others in their suffering and have done all of the above. When I did so, I remember feeling so uncomfortable, thinking, "this doesn't sound or feel right." I think I clearly have lots of room to grow in my understanding of Christ's suffering on the cross and what it means to have him present with me in my times of suffering. The most healing words of comfort have come from  a friend who recently said, "I'm so sorry" and nothing more, and from God, who spoke to my spirit, "I am here."

Explanations Are A Substitute For Trust


No comments:

Post a Comment