Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Cinderella Man and Me

"So much in me seeks influence, power, success, and popularity," writes Henri Nouwen about his journey in deciding to leave Harvard to serve at Daybreak; a home for the mentally and physically disabled in Canada. He admitted that even when he considers choosing a smaller way, he wants that way to become something spectacular.

This resonates with me as fall approaches and opportunities for engaging in new activities emerge. I want to do great things; things considered great by the world around me. Nouwen says, "the way of Jesus is the way of hiddenness, powerlessness, and littleness." I am tempted to add to this hidden work: motherhood + 'perfect' training, housekeeping + craftiness,  home + booming side job. I want this hidden work to look spectacular so that I a feeling that my life counts for something. This striving never satisfies.

Consider Jesus, born in a small town, grew up unknown, and though his ministry did reach great numbers of people it 'ended' in his humiliating, lonely, seemingly powerless, death. Yet he served quietly because he walked with God, experiencing His stamp of approval. Nouwen says that when Jesus came to be baptized he did, "not appear with great fanfare as a powerful savior, announcing a new order." Instead, God affirmed his quiet company with sinners by saying, "This is my Son, the Beloved; my favor rests on him."

As Jesus died, he gave up God's presence for loneliness, praise for rejection, death so that we, enemies of God, could have the same affirmation that he had always known. Today, because of what Jesus did, God announces to me, and to you if you are His, "You are my child, the Beloved; my pleasure rests on you."

Consider the movie about the Cinderella Man, one of the greatest American boxers of all time, who at the end of the movie, wins an incredible victory. The music sweeps the viewer up in happiness for the winner and in dreams of what such praise and satisfaction must feel like. And yet, as Christians, we can live with that same, if not greater, sense of value and rest-filled accomplishment, as we walk life with God!

Practicing this is harder than knowing it to be true. But, if I keep a child-like faith, it can be so simple and attainable. Today I pray to forget myself and in turn walk with God; that this experience will transform the hows and whys of my housecleaning, craft-making, decision-making, child-training, meal-planning, health-caring, husband-loving, friend-listening, volunteering ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment